|Me in the window of an office building|
My hair is currently dreadful! A kind of moppish flop, tortured by overgrowth and Moscow's biting wind. My wardrobe is looking a little shabby from the winter too. Boots and shoes need a decent scrub, but i've broken two brushes already just trying to get the snow and mud caking off. Alas.
So don't feel too bad, dear reader. Here is what you've been missing out on:
(1) Writing, interviewing, editing. See the Moscow Times for more details.
(2) Getting my wallet pinched. Actually, feel free to miss out on this one.
(3) Eating Uzbek Pasties. Fed up of the proposed Tory pasty taxes? Then come to Moscow and eat a spicy Uzbek pasty! Ideally get someone who knows where the best Uzbek cafes are to show you and order one. They are baked in a stone over called a Tandir or Tanbir (I forget at the moment of writing) and contain a mix of vegetables with lamb and beef mince. Moreish beyond belief...
(4) Interviewing sharp-suited Italian men in swanky hotels. (again, see Moscow Times for more details)
(5) Drinking too much free coffee in the employees kitchen.
(6) Hosting an 80's megamix of youtube videos on my facebook wall.
(7) Watching Peter Hook recreate Joy Division in a Russian nightclub. Religious experience.
(8) Hitchhiking home with an old guy who tells me to vote communist even when I explain that I'm not actually a citizen of the Russian federation.
|Novoslobodskaya Metro Station is neoclassically cool|
(10) Going to a 50's American diner tucked in near the Kremlin.
(11) Joining an expensive gym and spending most of my nights in a Jacuzzi full of fat men in their pants. (they refuse to buy swimming shorts, it's awful)
(12) Joining an expensive gym and spending most of my nights in a sauna full of nice, funny people who are really interested why an Englishman has appeared in their neighbourhood (you win some, you lose some)
(13) Watching muscovites spend spend spend in the massive malls.
(14) Buying postcards from art galleries I visit.
(15) Watching video reviews of guitars I own and miss.
(16) Trying to get an internship at Russian wine magazine.
(17) Learning to ride the metro "like a student"
(18) Watching Spring trying to come out only to be put in its place by bizarre snowstorms.